TOUR THE HOUSES WHERE THE PRESERVATION MOVEMENT BEGAN
For those interested in the preservation movement in Savannah this is an excellent opportunity to visit three houses which were part of the movement’s induction: William Scarbrough House (Ships of the Sea), Isaiah Davenport House, and the Andrew Low House.
ISAIAH DAVENPORT HOUSE
The Davenport House presents the story and lifestyle of a young master builder, Isaiah Davenport, and his household in the early 19th century. Saving the fine Federal-style house Davenport built in 1820 was the founding effort of Historic Savannah Foundation, the city’s premier historic preservation organization.
ANDREW LOW HOUSE
This mansion of classical mid-19th century design was built by Andrew Low, a wealthy cotton merchant of Liverpool and Savannah. The residence later became the home of William Low and his bride Juliette Gordon Low. Overlooking Lafayette Square, the house is beautifully furnished with period pieces from generations of Low and related families.
WILLIAM SCARBROUGH HOUSE
Designed in 1819 by noted English architect William Jay, William Scarbrough House is one of the earliest examples of domestic Greek Revival architecture in the South. Restored by Historic Savannah Foundation in the 1970s and again in the 1990s by Ships of the Sea, this National Historic Landmark is now the elegant setting for the Museum’s collection of ship models, paintings, and maritime antiques.
DISCOUNTED TICKET PRICE FOR ALL THREE HOUSES: $21.00 PER PERSON.
Tickets expire 30 days from the date of purchase (no refund for houses not visited).